[Vorbis] OGG decoding/multi-channel mixing

Joost Meijles joostmeijles at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 02:50:35 PST 2007

Hi All,

Currently I am investigating how interesting OGG is for me.
The most important requirements are:
- Decoding on embedded hardware, ARM7 or ARM9.
- Mixing multiple audio streams/files on embedded hardware

First of all how difficult is it to decode OGG on an ARM7/9 processor? I read that OGG decoding needs floating point support?

Secondly I would like to know how many MIPS are needed to decode OGG on average.

Finally is it possible to mix OGG streams without first decoding them to PCM? I found a program that is mixing multiple OGG streams called "mixplayd", but I wasn't able to figure out if this program is first decoding and than mixing or if it is mixing native OGG and than decoding one mixed OGG stream.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,

Joost