[Vorbis] edit comment

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Nov 5 23:22:31 PST 2007

On 5 Nov 2007 at 18:07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> On 11/5/07, Rafa Zafra Fuentes <rafa_zafra_fuentes at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > How i can edit the comments of a vorbis file?
>
> You need a player compatible with the VorbisComment standard.  If you
> use Microsoft Windows, you may edit those fields in Winamp or
> foobar2000.

Reminds me of: I had some large (40MB) TIFF image files where the metadata had a
problem, and I wanted to batch-fix them. Reading the file into memory, change
them, and then re-write them seemed to inefficient. So I wrote a program that
replaces the metadata in-place whenever possible, leaving the image data where
they are. OK, TIFF structure makes it rather easy. Actually I had tried to do a
similar thing with Vorbis, but that seems quite tricky (I wanted to _locate_ the
position where the comments are, and then overwrite them in place). Did anybody
try such a thing?

> WinVorbis[1] is a program which is dedicated for the sole purpose of
> editing VorbisComment fields.  You may want to look into it as well.

All these programs do a read/modify/write cycle on the whole file, right?

Regards,
Ulrich