[Vorbis] encoding vorbis in windows using on multi-core cpu

Patrick Byrne pbyrne at frontier.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 03:10:38 PDT 2007

 > You may be interested in these threads:
 > http://osdir.com/ml/video.thoggen.devel/2006-11/msg00008.html
 > http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2006-October/001298.html
 >
 > It sounds as though they have done this for Dirac, but I have
 > struggled to find real enthusiasm for it in Theora, where there are
 > really serious potential gains.
 >
 > Do you have one really big mono file to encode at a time? If you have
 > more than one, couldn't you just do two at once?

Thanks very much!

We are encoding gigabytes of mono speech - using multiple cores could
cut quite a lot of time off our asset builds.

tbh, it wouldn't be that much work to change our audio compiler so it
runs 2 compiles at the same time, but it would save doing the work if
the encode dll took care of all that.

..of course, the audio compiler would need modifying _again_ for a quad
core machine - we need a new paradigm, dammit!

Cheers
Patrick Byrne