[Vorbis] A Macromedia Shockwave Flash-based Ogg player?

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Tue Jan 16 12:07:44 PST 2007

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves schrieb:

> Although,on the web Java is not as predominant as Flash, if you could
> get your Java player to work with the other formats in the Ogg family,
> and keep the size down like that, half the battle would be won.

FLAC support is already included in J-Ogg and there is also a Speex
implementation for Java. Video support is however difficult, if not
impossible. It is not really a performance issue, as recent Java
versions have gained a lot in that aspect, but the Java API simply does
not provide enough access to required functionality. On the other hand,
I'm not particulary eager to spend time at all on Theora, as quality is
not really very up to date compared to the alternative video codecs and
I have strong doubt that Theora have any chance to gain much popularity.

> One can't make an ECMAScript player.  It's a scripting language.  It
> has too many limits to make it possible, especially concerning all the
> CPU cycles that would be involved.

One can. I doubt being able to optimize the code much more than in the
current test version available on http://flash.j-ogg.de, but it works,
even if you need a 1,5-2GHz range computer to use it. I think it's much
more reasonable to expect Adobe to improve ActionScript execution speed
in future Flash versions than to include a Vorbis decoder, so if Flash
is a required "market", there are not many other options.

> Javascript detection and player UI, eh?  It might work, but are you up
> to the challenge?

It will work. On the demo page, my J-Ogg applet is using scripting to
interact with the web page, allowing the player controls to be
implemented using HTML and JavaScript. Except for ugly design and so on,
it does work:

http://www.j-ogg.de/core/main?/demoroom-applet.html

Tor