[Vorbis] Filling holes in a FLAC file from an old Vorbis file

Oscar Sundbom oscar.sundbom at swipnet.se
Sun Jan 14 06:29:02 PST 2007

Stefan Monnier skrev:
> I have a partly damaged CD, from which I extracted 192Kb/s Vorbis files
> a while ago (before it got damaged) and I'd like to get FLAC files.
> `cdparanoia' extracted most of the data from the CD, but there are some
> holes due to the damages.
>
> How could I fill those holes in my FLAC files using the Vorbis files?
>

>         Stefan

Hi.

My way of going about this would be as such:
- Extract/convert the FLAC files and Vorbis files to Wave.
- Open the two files for the same track in an audio file editor, say for
example Audacity.
- Copy as little sound data as possible from the Vorbis data over the
broken part of the flac data.
- Save the (mostly) FLAC sourced file and convert it back to FLAC.

I don't think there exist any automatic methods for this, but the above
shouldn't be too hard.
There could be problems getting the boundaries of the sounds to match,
when you copy,
producing clicks. Other than that, it should be pretty easy.

Regards
Oscar