[Vorbis] Using decoding vorebis from a Vorbis / Theora Video

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 04:47:30 PST 2007

I am trying to write a media player in c# which will be able to play .ogg
video files which contain Theora video and Vorbis audio streams.

Currently I am using LibOgg and LibTheora (via a SWIG generated wrapper).
This currently is able to decode the video and output it to the screen. I
would like to use LibVorbis to decode the audio stream. Looking at the
documentation it looks like I have to use LibVorbis and not the more popular
Vorbis APIs.

With Theora I currently go through the below proccess

       Get a Packet Out LibOgg

       Pass the Packet to Theroa to decode

       Get the YUV frame to display from Theora

I was hoping to do the same with LibVorbis but I am a little confused by all
the methods in Codec.h. Which functions are expecting the raw packet from
LibOgg and can I then simply get the raw PCM data to play, like I can with
LibTheora or is it more complicated.

Is all the talk of framing in Codec.h just Ogg which I am using LibOgg for
or is it something different and acautlly part of the Vorbis codec itself.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie