[Vorbis] [info] Flash to support AAC/H264

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 07:37:31 PDT 2007

On 8/21/07, michel memeteau <michel.memeteau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is something that could change a lot of thinks on video/ audio
> streaming on the web
> http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/what-just-happened-to-video-on-web_20.html
> a shame they did not add theora/vorbis.

I thought a couple of things were interesting:

(1) They are adding a new file format for H264/VP6. At this point it
appears the old codecs will not be supported in the new format. This
may well help to lubricate a future removal of VP6/H263 from falsh.
While their honorable emphasis on keeping Flash small will, no doubt,
justify such a change it is interesting to note that the patent
holders will benefit from the old codecs being cycled out for the
new-hottness long before the patents can expire.

(2) They are quite clear that broadcasters are on their own for patent
licensing for the formats they use.

(3) "I am not in a position able to explain to you why we will not
allow 3rd party streaming servers to stream H.264 video or AAC audio
into the Flash Player. What I can tell you is that we do not allow
this without proper licensing."

and

(4) "Quality is not the main reason Flash Player 9 Update 3 has H.264 support."