[Vorbis] Re: [theora] This is a sad day for interoperability in the Web

Daniil V. Kolpakov dan at riga.lv
Thu Aug 23 07:22:21 PDT 2007

В сообщении от 23 августа 2007 Gregory Maxwell написал(a):
> On 8/23/07, dan at riga.lv <dan at riga.lv> wrote:
> > Flash is proprietary itself, so there ain't no difference whenever the
> > video formats it supports are proprietary or not.
>
> Er. Sure there is.
>
> As far as I know, The Adobe implementation of flash is proprietary,
> but flash itself has a free and legal (with the exception of the
> codecs) reimplementation (gnash).

Adobe allows creation of the .swf authoring software by 3rd parties, but
not .swf the creation of alternative decoders and players. Projects like
gnash and swfdec cannot use Adobe's specification on format (it's illegal).
Gnash project, instead, uses reverse-enginering.

I've tried both, and I continue to, as a new version comes out. Simply put,
they both don't work. And thats's understandable (and not developers' fault).

> Even ignoring that: If Flash supported a non-proprietary codec it
> would be trivial for sites to offer multiple (autodetected) player
> options.
[snipped]

This is all true, but my point was more of consumer (which belongs to
an "apparently the extra 3-4% or so of the possible viewers") than a
producer.

--
/dev/brains: permission denied