[Vorbis] oggdec.exe not using album gain stdout option

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Oct 24 23:59:17 PDT 2006

On 24 Oct 2006 at 18:26, Chris Harrington (Personal) wrote:

> Ian Malone wrote:
> > I agree.  I wonder if the intention was that per-track gain to
> > stdout would be for streaming (that variable name 'radio' intrigues
> > me, unless it's simply an old name for per-track rpg; like audiophile
> > is for album rpg).
> >

> I believe that is the case; "radio" replaygain is for a radio station
> that wants all tracks to be equal level. Audiophile replaygain is
> obvious in contrast.

Hi,

Hmm...: If replaygain is something like the "mastzer volume", I see no problem
with _applying_ the gain for audiophile, but I see the problem that the gain might
be _computed_ incorrectly (e.g. making a silent track of a CD very loud).

(The problem is that old CDs have their peak as low as -10dB, while recent one are
up to 0dB)

Regards,
Ulrich