[Speex-dev] Re: [Vorbis] Nelly Moser Asao Codec

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Oct 11 09:09:01 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 01:03:50AM +1000, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> Has anyone ever successfully re-implemented a proprietary codec without
> reverse engineering or decompiling? Or even with reverse engineering? I
> imagine even if you had the exact code, getting the codebooks without
> decompiling would be pretty tough.

I admit I'm a little confused here too. One can make progress by

(a) looking at bitstreams
(b) looking at bitstream changes in response to input/output changes
    using the proprietary implementation as a black box
(c) getting a separate agency to do the disassembly and write
    documentation for you. This is quite difficult these days as most
    EULAs forbid this.

>From the contract tender it's not clear which of these methods is
considered acceptable.

 -r