[Vorbis] ogg files / burning cd-r

Richard cms01 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 20:17:47 PST 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 7:06 pm, Ian Malone wrote:

> > first problem:
> > There is NOT one Portable CD Player on the Market,
> > that can play encoded .ogg files AND read the replaygain tags.
> > via a cd-r
>
> Yep, I don't know if any player does replay-gain.  Suspect
> it's beneath the manufacturer's radar (despite the fact
> portable players really need it).

Yeah, that is what I have found so far, its mp3... but no flac or ogg
which is really dumb, since these two formats are superior in all areas,
and if you are going to burn a audio disk, then it has be decoded first,
so, ripping in mp3 format is a waste of time, since you are not limited by
size, it by TIME, case in point, had 20 mp3 files, and time was 78 mins,
but size was under 200 megs.. then I had 18 ogg files, which was about
615 megs.. in size. and the time was 73 mins. ( for a 80 min cd-r )

> > So, I can't find any real method of burning a cd full of .ogg files,
> > AND there is no burning app (linux based) that can decode and still read
> > the replaygain tags, while encoding to a linear pcm file.
>
> (Do you really want to use replay-gain when burning to CD?)
> Ask the K3b people if they'd consider adding this feature.

I did in fact, pitch this on the k3b email list... he maybe looking into it,
however, if a few more devel chime in on this, that would be great.
its getting to the point, why bother to burning audio disc (cd-r),
if ogg or flac are not going to be supported.

which leaves, flash or mini-hard drive players.. even those are far and few..
but, still none of the ogg player stated, they support replaygain tags..
that is the whole key to all.

replaygain should be the industry standard, to be used on mp3 ogg flac.. hey
even wav / pcm files.

Regards-
Rich