[Vorbis] Would Xiph be interested in a logo redesign for Vorbis?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 06:19:51 PDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2006 at 11:04, Ian Malone wrote:
>
>> On 6/19/06, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
>>> IMHO, a Vorbis logo for players makes sense as soon as there's
some compatibility
>>> test. ;-)
>>
>> Is there one for similar formats like mp3?  (None of the top hits on google
>> were relevant, the one that looked closest was, rather typically, for
>> patent test suites...)
>
> Hi, the smiley was because of this: My Samsung MT6 has problems with some files
> (the firmware is upgradable, but Samsung just doesn't provide updates. The are
> "investigating the problems" (since about January)): Either the filenames itself
> are too long or use unexpected UTF8 characters, or the tags do. It displays the
> famous "no file" when trying to play. That's why I suggested to have some
> compatibility tests. For meta-stuff like that a stupid sound like "ding dong"
> would be OK. The other tink that should be tested (IMHO) are varying bitrates, a
> sinus sweep of fixed volume, and white noise, or whatever.

Well, filenames I suppose would be more of a general player
problem, what I was wondering was if there were existing
compliance tests for other formats that could be looked at
as models for Vorbis compliance.  It would be nice to be
able to answer questions like what quality level the iRiver
flash devices can actually handle reliably.

Of course, Vorbis is defined by the decoder, which in a way
covers everything.  But (I'm told), quite a few parts of the spec
aren't used by files produced by current decoders, which
seems to mean they don't get implemented sometimes.

--
imalone