[Vorbis] Hz vs bitrate?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 17:45:12 PST 2006

Geoff Shang wrote:

> This means that the higher the sound you want to record digitally, the
> more samples you need to take. 8000 samples per second will be able to
> reproduce sounds of up to 4000 vibrations per second, the kind of
> signal you get over a telephone line. If you want to represent the
> theoretical limit of human hearing, 20000 vibrations per second, you
> need at least 40000 samples per second. This is where the CD standard
> of 44100 samples per second (or Hz) comes from. Note that I think it's
> more complicated than this, hence the extra 4100 (I'm sure someone
> else on the list will explain this).

Well, there are aliasing issues, but the typical way they're overcome is
to oversample on recording
and use a digital filter (so it does make sense for recording to be done
at crazily high bit rates) to
bring it down to 20kHz. However, one of the links I posted (the
recording one), claims the 44.1kHz
is a lowest common multiple issue for PAL/NTSC. Whether you believe that
is up to you.

--
imalone ♘