[Vorbis] Vorbis at first place in "Public, Multiformat Listening Test @ 128 kbps"

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Tue Jan 17 16:36:23 PST 2006

Maik Merten wrote:

>The setting were chosen so that all encoders will give 128 kbps on
>average with *full length* tracks/albums (which is what is interesting).

I doubt that. All encoders exceeded the target bitrate substantially,
the Vorbis encoder at most with almost 16%. When testing specific audio
material, they should also tweek the encoder quality settings, so that
they reach the target bitrate with the applied settings.

>Thus the 7-8% bitrate difference during these short test-samples is
>uninteresting as there are enough sequences in which Vorbis will go
>below 128 kbps.

And the other codecs won't go below 128 kbps on those sequences, so that
the average difference remains? What I got to think about is wether or
not the Vorbis header was included in the bitrate calculations? That
might of course explain the difference on such short samples.

Tor