[Vorbis] Firefox plugin to auto convert audio files into Ogg

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Jan 10 10:21:03 PST 2006

Graham Mitchell wrote:
> 2) There's basically no player that plays vorbis audio but not mp3.  That is,
> if it will play an ogg it'll play the mp3 anyway.

I'm sure that what you say is true for non-Free OSes such as Microsoft Windows
and MacOS X.

However, on Free Software systems this is uncommon.  As a result of MP3 patent
encumberances there are a number of programs which ship ready to play Ogg Vorbis
and not MP3 as distributed in a number of common Free Software OS distributions
(Helix Player, XMMS, Totem, etc.).  Additional software is needed to add MP3
playback in these programs.