[Vorbis] Where are the Portable Devices at vorbis.com ?

lloyd at foolswisdom.com foolswisdom at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:11:36 PST 2006

On 2/18/06, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> lloyd at foolswisdom.com wrote:
> > Hi Vorbis-ers,
> >
> > It has been a while since I have checked out the Ogg Vorbis resources.
> > http://vorbis.com is looking great!
> >
> > It is a shame though that portable (and other devices) that support Ogg
> > Vorbis well are not celebrated on the home page. I know there is an
> > extensive list at http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers, but it
> is
> > overwhelming in its completeness, and may not be immediately found be
> less
> > sophisticated computer users.
> >
> > Device support is essential for adoption of Ogg Vorbis!
>
> "overwhelming in its completeness," surely that's the point?  It's not
> really Xiph's job to advertise particular players, so the impartial wiki
> ist of players supporting Vorbis is preferable.  (Not to mention it's a
> measure of Vorbis's success that so many players now support it)

I think it may currently be Vorbis' job, as Vorbis is currently not
available in the most popular portable device, iPod, much to my
disappointment -- not because I like Apple's proprietary policies, but
because I like freedom, which Vorbis is part of.

When I promote Ogg Vorbis to friends, they end up on
http://www.vorbis.com/. They do not have the technical expertise to
consider hundreds of devices,
some not widely available and some no longer in production.

Vorbis.com could highlight the best players. The trick is deciding what best
means and still be impartial.

Thanks to Ivo Gonçalves, Gervase Markham,* *for further articulating what I
was trying to suggest.

--
Peace be in you,
Lloyd D Budd