[Vorbis] Streaming vorbis support

Oscar Sundbom oscar.sundbom at swipnet.se
Mon Feb 13 12:14:31 PST 2006

Hi!

I'm setting up a streaming audio server for the student radio here in
Stockholm.
I'm of course going to primarily use Ogg/Vorbis, but I'd like to know
how well
Ogg/Vorbis streaming is supported on different platforms. I know it works
well Windows (for example w/ recent Winamps) and Unices (XMMS, ogg123 etc.)
but I'm not so sure about other platforms, most importantly Mac-OS X.

I need to know this mainly so I can decide on whether to support mp3 as
well,
or if I can go Vorbis all the way. I'm deciding between using ices and
darkice
for source - will be using icecast2. Ices seems generally cleaner and
supports
some stuff I'll probably need (stereo->mono conversion for vorbis
output), and
some that might be wanted (some nifty meta data handling), but only
supports vorbis.
Darkice supports both Vorbis and MP3 (as well as some other formats) but
doesn't
do stereo->mono conversion for Vorbis, and needs to be tweaked a bit to
support
aoTuV quality -2, which makes maintanance/upgrading needlessly bothersome.

Any help on the issue is greatly appreciated. Other comments are also
welcome.

Regards
Oscar