[Vorbis] [Newbie] - Start with Vorbis

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Feb 6 09:25:36 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:13:24PM +0100, Daniele Barzotti wrote:

> "Is possible to recording from an input device with the vorbis libs? Or
> the libs is intended for encode/decode only?"

The reference libraries are encode/decode only; you have to use a
separate recording tool. (For example, the output of arecord on
GNU/Linux can be piped to the oggenc utility.)

We do provide the ogg123 tool which can do playback on most platforms.
Most people want to mix live audio before encoding it, which probably
explains the difference. I've used the above when I just wanted to
record something off the radio, though.

Hope that helps,
 -r