[Vorbis] Re: buggy vorbis encoder

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Mon Dec 18 15:56:50 PST 2006

xiphmont at xiph.org (xiphmont at xiph.org) wrote:

> That is more likely the problem that Ralph mentioned: Older encoders
> used a feature (floor0) that was more computationally expensive than
> current encoders (floor1).  It is more expensive to decode and
> apparently the Cowon didn't put enough into optimizing that path.

Just for the record, the DMC 8280 portable player cannot play any
file I have which was encoded with 1.0 RC2 or older.  1.0 RC3 and
newer are all fine.  And I believe this was the point at which
floor0 was abandoned, though I might be remembering that wrong.

If the player tries to play any of the older Oggs, it just locks up,
often with strange Korean(?) characters on the display.

I suspect this issue, with symptoms of varying fatality, is common
in quite a few of the hardware players.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |