[Vorbis] vorbis-tools-1.1.1 build mechanism stubbornly refuses to build with FLAC, ogg123, speex

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Dec 12 02:28:25 PST 2006

On 12/12/06, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
>
> > You have been told to look in your config.log at least four times. Please
> > see the email from me last week.
> >
> And I have looked into config.log and asked a question I don't remember
> have been answered:

I had promised myself not to get involved in this one...

Sergei: Answer questions as asked.  Paste or include logs when asked.
Please stop filtering your replies and answering the questions you
feel like answering, rather than the questions that were asked.  And
answering a question with a question isn't the same thing.

You do not understand configure (or auto*) well enough to debug this
yourself, but for some reason you think you're qualified to only pass
on the bits that you think are relevant.

We understand the autotools well, but we don't know yet what is going
in your case, and you haven't yet given us enough information to
figure it out.  We're not witholding expertise just to piss you off
personally.

For what it's worth, all the GNU autotools are *very* buggy.  I see
them fail more often than I see them work.  Every version seems to be
incompatable with the version that came before.  Declaring that the
bug *must* be in vorbis-tools may or may not be correct.  So, please
stop making assumptions you're not qualified to make and certainly
don't make assumptions you're not bothering to test.

We do want to help you, but we're probably not going to bother to take
abuse.  Watch how fast this thread dies for lack of any response.

So... to begin... a *complete* configure.log plzkthx.

Monty