[Vorbis] vorbis-tools-1.1.1 build mechanism stubbornly refuses to build with FLAC, ogg123, speex

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 15:33:40 PST 2006

On 10/12/06, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 06/12/06, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying build vorbis-tools-1.1.1 in the framework of my tool (see signature).
> > >
> > > The essence of the tools is that it builds and install everything locally, and, of
> > > course, it uses the available mechanisms to specify search paths for both headers
> > > and libraries; the tool first builds dependencies abd then the target itself.

<snip>
> > > Still, screen output of 'configure' says:
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > config.status: creating po/Makefile
> > > configure: WARNING: FLAC and/on OggFLAC libraries or headers missing, oggenc
> > > will NOT be built with FLAC read support.
> > > configure: WARNING: FLAC and/or OggFLAC libraries or headers missing, ogg123
> > > will NOT be built with FLAC read support.
> > > configure: WARNING: Speex libraries and/or headers missing, ogg123
> > > will NOT be built with Speex read support.
> > > ".
> > >
> > Okay, seeing I just upgraded to FC6, I thought I'd give this a go,
> > left out FLAC (and the speex-devel package, but only looked at
> > FLAC). Downloaded and built the flac-1.1.2 tarball, installed to
> > /home/ian/flac, then set this up:
> > [ian at atlas vorbis-tools]$ export|grep flac
> > declare -x CPPFLAGS="-I/home/ian/flac/include/"
> > declare -x LDFLAGS="-L/home/ian/flac/lib"
> >
> > vorbis-tools from svn does ./configure and configures FLAC
> > support (but not speex, missing devel package). make builds
> > fine.
> >
> > Perhaps you could have a look at config.log. This is an
> > excerpt from mine without the above exports:
> > configure:28136: checking for FLAC/stream_decoder.h
> > configure:28152: gcc -c -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fsigned-char   conftest.c >&5
> > conftest.c:94:33: error: FLAC/stream_decoder.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > and with them:
> > configure:28136: checking for FLAC/stream_decoder.h
> > configure:28152: gcc -c -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fsigned-char  -I/home/ian/flac/in

<snip>

> The command line posted in my original message was:

<snip>
> --prefix=/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/install/vorbis-tools-1.1.1
> --with-ao=/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/install/libao-0.8.6
> --with-curl=/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/install/curl-7.15.5
> --with-speex=/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/install/speex-1.1.12 --with-flac 1>configure.log
> 2>&1

Minor point, I don't know if --with-speex=... or --with-flac are
honoured by ./configure; I do ./configure -help here and see only
options for --without-speex and --without-flac.

> So, I believe the moral equivalents of your exports were:
>
> "-I/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/install/flac-1.1.2/include" in CPPFLAGS and
> "-L/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/install/flac-1.1.2/lib" in LDFLAGS.
>
> Both CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS are exported.
>
> Did I understand your point correctly ?

Yes. We're doing the same thing, for some reason it works for me
and not for you.  Are you able to find the corresponding point
in config.log (the file generated by ./configure, not your redirect
to configure.log)?

--
imalone