[Vorbis] Fwd: vorbis-tools-1.1.1 build mechanism stubbornly refuses to build with FLAC, ogg123, speex

Sergei Steshenko sergstesh at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 07:35:52 PST 2006

--- "Chris Harrington (Personal)" <webkid at webkid.com> wrote:

> Check out Gentoo... it builds everything from source. You could install
> vorbis-tools and inspect how it calls the configure.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org
>
> -Chris
>
> Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > Anybody ?
> >

> > Note: forwarded message attached.
> >

> > Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

That's not the point, and my tool builds everything from source too. And 'gentoo'
installs things in system directories, while my tool doesn't (unless I configure it
to). My tool does not require root privileges because it doesn't need to write to
system locations.

For example, this is the list of targets the tool currently builds:

aspell-0.60.4
atk-1.12.1
at-spi-1.6.6
audiofile-0.2.6
autoconf-2.60b
autoconf-2.61
autogen-5.8.7
bzip2-1.0.3
Cairo-1.02
cairo-1.2.4
curl-7.15.5
curl-7.16.0
dejagnu-1.4.4
diacanvas2-0.14.4
ecasound-2.4.4
esound-0.2.36
expat-2.0.0
expat-2006-11-24
expect-5.44.1
fftw-3.1.2
flac-1.1.2
fontconfig-2.4.1
freetype-2.2.1
gail-1.8.11
gaim-2.0.0beta5
gcc-3.4.6
gcc-4.1.1
GConf-2.14.0
gettext-0.16
gettext-0.16.1
glade-2.12.1
Glib-1.140
Glib-1.141
Glib-1.142
glib-1.2.10
glib-2.12.4
gmp-4.2.1
Gnome2-1.040
Gnome2-Canvas-1.002
Gnome2-Dia-0.04
Gnome2-GConf-1.032
Gnome2-Print-0.951
Gnome2-VFS-1.060
Gnome2-VFS-1.061
Gnome2-Vte-0.07
Gnome2-Vte-0.08
Gnome2-Wnck-0.13
gnome-keyring-0.4.9
gnome-vfs-2.14.2
gnutls-1.4.5
gst-plugins-base-0.10.7
GStreamer-0.09
gstreamer-0.10.8
gtk+-1.2.10
gtk+-2.10.6
Gtk2-1.141
Gtk2-GladeXML-1.006
Gtk2-Html2-0.04
Gtk2-TrayIcon-0.04
gtk-engines-2.8.0
gtkspell-2.0.11
guile-1.8.1
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.102.20
jpegsrc.v6b
ladspa_sdk
lame-3.97
libao-0.8.6
libart_lgpl-2.3.17
libavc1394-0.5.3
libbonobo-2.14.0
libbonoboui-2.14.0
libfreebob-1.0.0
libgcrypt-1.2.3
libglade-2.6.0
libgnome-2.14.1
libgnomecanvas-2.14.0
libgnomeprint-2.12.1
libgnomeprintui-2.12.1
libgnomeui-2.16.1
libgpg-error-1.4
libgtkhtml-2.6.3
libid3tag-0.15.1b
libIDL-0.8.7
libiec61883-1.1.0
libmad-0.15.1b
libogg-1.1.3
liboil-0.3.9
libpng-1.2.12
libraw1394-1.2.1
libsamplerate-0.1.2
libsndfile-1.0.17
libtasn1-0.3.6
libtool-1.5.22
libvorbis-1.1.2
libwnck-2.14.2
libxml2-2.6.26
lzo-2.02
m4-1.4.8
madplay-0.15.2b
Module-Build-0.2805
Module-Pluggable-3.1
mpfr-2.2.0
mpg123-0.61
ncurses-5.5
opencdk-0.5.9
ORBit2-2.14.2
pango-1.14.7
pango-1.14.8
pa_snapshot_v18
popt-1.6.4
sox-12.18.2
speex-1.1.12
tcl8.4.14-src
tiff-3.8.2
tk8.4.14-src
vorbis-tools-1.1.1
vte-0.14.1
wxGTK-2.6.3
wxX11-2.6.3
zlib-1.2.3
.

The point is that using the same approach I can build the above targets, but building
'vorbis' I encounter the problem.

To me it looks like a bug in 'vorbis' build mechanism, and I can't even create the
account for filing bugs.

So, I'm posting the question to this list.

It may well be that it's a big in my tool, i.e. the command line I am giving has
something wrong and/or missing.

So, why does it fail ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.