[Vorbis] Re: buggy vorbis encoder

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Dec 5 19:29:25 PST 2006

On 12/5/06, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 10:49:18PM -0800, Ben Collver wrote:
>
> > We tried changing the serial number, but that did not solve the problem.
> >     There must be another problem as well.

...I'm not sure why it thinks a serialno of 0 is a problem, but that's
not what's causing the trouble.

I'm guessing the decoder in the Cowon is not tolerating the fact that
the earliest Vorbis encoders could mistakenly put audio data on the
same page as the final header packets.  This is not allowed in the
spec, it was simply a bug in the oldest encoders.  Most playback tools
don't care (in some ways, it requires extra work to not tolerate this
bug)...

Any editing that causes a remux without a reencode (eg, the
vorbiscomment example given earlier) will fix the problem by moving
the first audio packets off the final header page.

Monty