[Vorbis] Proposal: enhance ogginfo to not verify whole stream

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Aug 28 23:14:20 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm using ogginfo a lot to get the comments section on the terminal. However
ogginfo always verifies (reads) the whole stream to print some more information.
I'd like to see an additional option that does just print the comments
efficiently. For a player connected via USB 1, that would clearly make a
difference. (I have a Perl script that renames files based on the comments, and I
extract the comments via ogginfo. That seemed the simplest solution.)

Another useful option could print offset and length of the comments in the Ogg
stream. I tried to find that out myself, but failed. The idea was to quickly
(efficiently and dirtyly) replace the comments block with something different
(actually debugging why my player would not like some files).

Regards,
Ulrich