[Vorbis] Encoding / new comments

David Baelde david.baelde at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 17:48:58 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm developing a software using a vorbis encoder, streaming to an
icecast server. I recently realized that the system gets a bit out of
sync at every new track. The machine isn't really fast, but it's
enough, and it can actually get the sync back quickly. However, I'm
wondering why the encoding costs me so much at every new track, it
would be better to have the system behave more smoothly.

I don't remember where we got the recipe for doing so, but at every
new track we basically completely reset the encoder. It involves a
quite costly call to vorbis_analysis_init. My question is: is it
strictly needed ? I just want to change the metadata after all.. Any
pointer to a good tutorial would be greatly appreciated too, learning
from examples is nice but you never know if the example is so good..

If you're interested in the piece of code I'm writing about, see
ocaml_vorbis_encoder_reset in
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/savonet/trunk/ocaml-vorbis/src/vorbis_stubs.c?view=markup

Cheers
--