[Vorbis] metadata

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Tue Sep 27 17:50:49 PDT 2005

Ian Malone (ibm21 at cam.ac.uk) wrote:

> My own aim is basically to be able to put liner notes into the meta-
> data.

Others have shared this goal.  There have been unofficial "tag standards"
proposed.  There have been flame wars.  There has been blood in the
streets... well, OK, not really.

Anyway, check it out: http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tagging.html

Be warned that bringing it up here will probably result in whining, the
likes of which you've never witnessed.

I'm probably doomed to spend my afterlife in the deepest pit of hell
just for mentioning it.

> Operas are particularly painful;
> things like "JOSE=(Don José) Nicolai Gedda" happen.

PERFORMER=Nicolai Gedda (Don José)

> On top of this: multiple performers, qualified so cast, conductor,
> etc. can be entered easily (cast also has the requirement of listing
> character).  Contributors can probably hold engineers.

Remember, you can have multiple instances of each tag.

CONDUCTOR=Joe Smith
PERFORMER=Jane Doe (1st Violin)
PERFORMER=Jimmy Jones (Percussion)

And always remember, you can make up your own tags if you need them.
When in doubt, I just throw in a

COMMENT=Blah blah blah....

> Creator seems
> to sit best with writing credits, but is slightly at odds with the
> traditional use of ARTIST: Jimi Hendrix---All Along the Watchtower,
> Eric Clapton---Little Wing are good examples of times I want to see
> performer in XMMS's title bar rather the creator.

Generally, I use ARTIST and TITLE for "whatever you want to see in the
media player's scrolling widget", and reserve the more esoteric information
for the unofficial tags like PERFORMER, COMPOSER, etc.

Go ahead and duplicate the information if you want.

TITLE=All Along the Watchtower
ARTIST=The Jimi Hendrix Experience
ALBUM=Electric Ladyland
TRACKNUMBER=15
DATE=1968
COMPOSER=Bob Dylan
PERFORMER=Jimi Hendrix (guitar, vocals, bass, ...?)

(I don't feel like grabbing the CD off my shelf right now.  I'm pretty sure
that Noel didn't play bass on that one....)

> A use for genre
> maybe?  (Quick, get some prior art out before MS patent it.)

I have no use for "genres".  Whenever I rip CDs with abcde, and it fetches
the CDDB data from Freedb with a genre in it, I edit it out.

Your mileage may vary.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |