[Vorbis] Can't access www.xiph.org from Japan

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sun Sep 25 20:00:46 PDT 2005

Let us not be silly about this.

The original post identified the problem and suggested an
easy-to-implement solution which would fix it and not offend the
correctly configured browsers. There is so much concern about making the
Xiph codecs as accepted as possible and yet people want to make a stand
at a user's first point of contact. I would not stop people who tied
their shoelaces incorrectly from shopping at my store, regardless of
whether I wanted to encourage correct shoe-tieing. I think that the
original post was very responsible, it pointed to a guide to remedy the
problem and quite rightly pointed out that those who have an incorrectly
configured browser would not be able to view the site. The fact that
they can fix their browser is irrelevant to the fact that, as there is
an easy remedy, it is worth Xiph catering to those who have the browser
incorrectly set up as well.

If you are concerned about people setting up their browsers incorrectly,
feel free to set up a website about its evils, but if Richard Stallman
can put his ideologies aside (re:licensing) in order to make these
codecs widely accepted, I think that you probably could as well.

Aaron