[Vorbis] aoTuV

Nikos Chantziaras nikos.chantziaras at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:58:48 PDT 2005

Mario Antonius wrote:
> Instead of the compiler, looks like Aoyumi did several changes on the
> source code too. I'm trying to understand why aoTuV can perform
> faster encoding than oggenc. I'm looking on the source code to find
> what & where is the differences.

Not much point in doing this right away.  What you should do first,
however, is build the official version and Aoyumi's version using the
same compiler with the exact same compiler flags.  On my system, when I
compile the vorbis-tools under MinGW/MSYS using the following flags:

   -03 -march=pentium4 -fno-exceptions

using GCC 3.4.4, "oggenc" encodes much, much faster than the generic
"oggenc.exe" from the official site.

So, without compiling both versions using exactly the same compiler
configuration, you can't really know which version is faster in the
first place.