[Vorbis] OFF-TOPIC audio fade curves

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed Sep 14 19:50:19 PDT 2005

This is off topic but I'm sure many subscribed here may be able to help.  I'm writing an audio player, which includes vorbis of course, for the broadcasting industry and I need to prematurely fade out songs before they have finished.  I've tried a linear and a logarithmic fade but neither sound natural to me.

I was never good at logarithms in school and that was a long time ago.

Can anyone provide a formula which provides a fade that the ear would perceive as even and  steady?  Or even better, a variable way of adjusting the log curve between logarithmic and linear.  I've searched the Net but haven't found anything useful.

Many thanks,
Ross.