[Vorbis] Big quality loss with self-compiled Vorbis-lib under LFS

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Tue Oct 11 10:33:10 PDT 2005

Hallo altogether!

First of all I want to thank the developers for the great codec!
But I have the following problem now:

I  have  built  my  own  Linux from Scratch and also compiled everything that is
necessary to have ogg and vorbis and  tools  for  de-  and  encoding.  Just  the
encoding  turned  out  to  have very poor quality independent how high I set the
quality level. It has some kind of echo in it and is like phone quality.
I compiled the whole thing also under my SuSE and there it works perfectly. When
I  copy  my  self-compiled libvorbis.so.0.3.0 from SuSE to my LFS it works fine.
But I don't like that and am wondering, what is wrong  with  my  LFS-library.  I
noticed as well, that, although it is both the newest version, my LFS oggenc has
a much, much fast running progress-indicator (actually it is hard to be seen  at
all!) and has a much higher average bitrate for one and the same wav-file as the
SuSE-lib yields.
Has anybody an idea? I have no clue where to start serching for a fault as there
is  never  any  error-message  in  any stage. What is the newest gcc the library
should be compiled with? I used gcc-3.3.6 and 4.0.0.

I am very thankful for any help or hints.

lynx