[Vorbis] Xiph QuickTime Components project announcement

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 08:24:31 PST 2005

Arek Korbik wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Just to let you know about the new Xiph QuickTime Components project.
 >
 > It should be of interest to people wanting to use ogg/vorbis files
 > (and other Xiph formats, as well) in combination with QuickTime-based
 > applications (e.g. see: iTunes).
 >
 > The project pages are at: http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

Sounds good!(I know a couple of people with Macs who are baffled by
Vorbis)

I don't have a Mac though, so if you find time could you check how
XiphQT handles the experimental Vorbis+meta-data files at
<www.srcf.ucam.org/~ibm21/omd_samples/>[1]?  It's been suggested
they're not valid Ogg files[2], but I think they're still a useful
acid test for handling of unknown codec types.

[1] Just to check that they don't impair playback or seeking.
[2] Two issues, both relating to the presence of meta-data packets in
     the header section:
     1. The meta-data packets are, from a point of view, data packets
        and thus do not belong in the header.  My own view is that
        since they do not have an associated time their granulepos
        should be zero, which marks them out for being in the header.
     2. The presence of an eos in the header, which could mess up
        codec set-up logic.  But it seems harmless from the PoV of
        what I'm (occasionally) trying to do to Helix and is
        actually beneficial from the libvorbisfile PoV.

--
imalone