[ogg-dev] Re: [Vorbis] metadata

Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Sun Nov 20 02:14:36 PST 2005

Hi Ian,

CMML is still a draft, so we can change the addressing if required. You're correct, currently something like

  blah.cmml#fragment

points to a clip (or temporal section) of the stream, but

  blah.cmml#t=12

points to a 12 seconds offset.

(same for annodex, i.e. ogg files with skeleton track).

For pointing to logical streams inside ogg, I'd really suggest you have a look at skeleton. Skeleton has all the information that is required, when used with CMML. CMML provides an id tag for each logical bitstream that provides a name (in addition to the rather arbitrary serial number). Then "id" and the name get encoded in the binary skeleton header as a message header field and can be used for addressing. You can use this mechanism also without using CMML, by the way.

And as for queries: they work with Annodex in the same way that fragments work. As per URI standard, the fragments get interpreted locally on the client, while the queries can be transported to the server and thus perform offset options before streaming.

There are libraries for doing all this stuff on annodex.net.

I'm not sure if this helps at all since I missed half the discussion. But I thought I'd throw in my 5c.

Cheers,
Silvia.