[Vorbis] vorbis winamp plugin

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Nov 3 08:12:36 PST 2005

On 11/3/05, Paul Ellis <public at ellisfoundation.com> wrote:
> Vorbis is BSD licensed, which basically means you can do almost anything
> with it.  It is the least restrictive open-source license out there.
> Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD/License for more info.

Ross was asking about redistributing the Nullsoft vorbis plugin for
winamp, not about distributing the vorbis libraries. Thought their
plugin uses libvorbis, it's not under a BSD-style license (indeed it's
not open source at all), and it would certainly not be legal to
redistribute it without getting explicit permission (which I wouldn't
expect would be granted).

The nullsoft plugin is much more functional than the old xiph one that
Jack and I wrote. The winamp input plugin model is extremely limited,
though, so I would strongly recommend against using this model for a
new application, and would particularly recommend against using the
xiph winamp plugin given the problems that it had/has. But hey, THAT
plugin is open source, so you can do that if you really want to.

Mike