[Vorbis] patent issues with Vorbis

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Wed Mar 30 12:04:07 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:31:32PM +0530, KumarBraj Bhushan wrote:
> > I have started with patents listed on the website of "www.mp3licensing.com". Some of them are very generic and it appears as if Vorbis code might be infringing upon few of them. They are (with their patent numbers and titles) :
> In general, Vorbis uses alternate methods to the ones described in these
> patents.

Someone from fraunhofer publically stated many (many) years ago they
believed vorbis infringed on mp3 patents. However they have not to date
filed any infringement suits.

The law takes a _very_, _VERY_ dim view of companies who are aware of
infringement but _deliberately_ choose to do nothing until many years
later. As is the current situation with fraunhofer/mp3licensing. (except
that in this case, they _still_ have not filed any claims).

The very first question out of a judge's mouth will be to ask them why
they did not file an infrigement suit as soon as they were aware of
it (and as they publically claimed). And they had better damn well have
the best answer in the universe.

For those of us watching, this indicates to us mp3licensing doesn't have
diddly shit, and is a better indicator and stronger statement of the
patent situation with vorbis than any statement xiph could ever make.

fraunhofer's / mp3licensing's silence on the matter speaks volumes.

-Dan