[Vorbis] Vorbis for non audio stream

Christopher Harrington webkid at webkid.com
Mon Jul 11 07:22:25 PDT 2005

Vorbis is tuned for human audio. That means that the distortion it
introduces will look completely nonsensical in terms of what data it
discards, and what data it chooses to keep.

Your brain "hears" audio differently than it exists in the form of a
wave; there are certain things you don't hear, even though they are
present. And, sometimes you "hear" what isn't even there, because of the
way your brain interprets sound.

The bottom line is that Vorbis discards data based on what your brain
would also discard when listening to sound. This makes it very
unsuitable for compressing anything that isn't going to be listened to
by a human.

If you must compress a waveform, do it losslessly. Any lossy waveform
compression you will find will be optimized for humans, and that's not
what you want.

See... http://flac.sourceforge.net/

-Chris