[Vorbis] Delay

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 04:08:29 PDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Thomas Bosch <moers at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm programing a tool for ip telephony in hifi quality (diploma) ...
> I want to know what coding delay ogg produces.
> Are there low delay variantes?
> Can anyone help me?

You're presumably actually asking what delay vorbis has, not what
delay ogg has (though as a side note: for this sort of thing, using
ogg to encapsulate your vorbis data is inappropriate, and will
typically add substantially to the system latency).

The latency of the reference vorbis encoder is reasonably high (but I
don't think it has been accurately characterised; vorbis simply isn't
designed for use in very low latency situations) in VBR mode (I'd
expect a substantial fraction of a second), and very high (multiple
seconds) in CBR/ABR modes.

A much lower-latency encoder could be designed, but that would likely
drastically reduce the quality produced. To my knowledge, there is no
low delay variant in existence currently.

Mike