[Vorbis] Vorbis Players for Windows

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jan 20 13:45:43 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:58:09PM +0100, Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
> On Don, 2005-01-20 at 11:00 +1100, Michael Smith wrote:
> > > I've recently put a few of my tracks online (http://livenraw.npfdd.ch/
> > > for those interested; it's a solo-rock-performance by me) and of course
> > > I've used Vorbis for this.
> > > Now I had several reports on the topic "How do I play these ogg-things
> > > on Windows?". I've linked to http://www.vorbis.com/ but apparently this
> > > is not easy enough.
> > > One of my friends even told me he tried a couple of players from the
> > > Software page but had no success. Not with media-player or Winamp2. And
> > > he's definately more into computers than the average user.
> > >
> > > No my question is: isn't there a simpler way to explain these people how
> > > to get Vorbis running on their computer?
> > > What page do you refer them to?
> >
> > The Wiki page for software players is probably the best/easiest place
> > to give them a wide selection (though for my part, I typically point
> > users directly to specific players, such as winamp).
>
> Ah, well. That explains a lot.
> I tend to forget about the wiki. It's not very good linked from the
> vorbis.com page.
> Why don't you replace the outdated software-download pages (at least the
> 3rd party ones) by the Wiki, which seems to be much more up to date?

Haven't looked over Vorbis.com for a while as it wasn't my baby...

Dear *God* has it fallen out of date.  Worse than nothing,
practically.  Although there is a wholsesale redesign in progress, the
content of the pages is so far off today it's embarrassing.  yes, we
should all be embarrassed.  I am.  I'll be fixing it up over the next
few days so it's at least correct while we're waiting for new pages.

Sorry for no instant fixes; schedule is hectic right now.

> That is probably a good idea. Making vorbis.com a little simpler and
> integrating the wiki better would IMHO be more important tough.

This is an understatement ;-)

Monty