[Vorbis] Vorbis Players for Windows

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Wed Jan 19 23:58:04 PST 2005

> I guess the only thing we could do to make it simpler for users would
> be to provide an exe download (currently, they're zip files containing
> a setup.exe and a couple of other files. Since many versions of
> windows don't come with zip software, this doesn't seem ideal for
> ultimate-user-friendliness).

Yep... and the next version should do just this...

I've had an NSIS script written for a few months... but the previous version
of NSIS (2.02) had a bug which caused registration of the COM .dll's to
fail. The new version (2.03) fixes this problem... so the next release will
be an .exe NSIS installer, which has several benefits.

Firstly i will no longer need different installers for the three main
flavours, ie XP, 2K/NT and 9X... the package is also about 20% smaller than
the curent XP package and about 1/4 the size of the packages for the other 2
flavours. And it also has multi lingual installation. As well as being far
more customisable...

One thing i'd like to do which may or may not get into the next release is
have a decode only package... which will be a fair saving since in most
cases it's the encoders that take up most of the space.

As Andre mentioned, the next release is only a couple of weeks away... which
is mainly bug fixes mainly in terms of memory management... it is
substantially leaner now that a few really big memory leaks have been
squashed mainly in the encode side... but a really big one was also killed
in the decode side. Should be out by latest the first week in Feb. Also a
fair chunk of documentation has also been added.

Zen.