[Vorbis] Simple OGG editing without re-encoding?

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Fri Jan 14 05:05:50 PST 2005

I have some OGG files which would benefit from the following
simple corrections:

a) removing left channel (which is empty) and changing right
channel to the mono channel (mono sound stereo-recorded by
mistake)

b) volume change

Of course I can open the files in audacity and do those
corrections but that would require re-encoding. And I am afraid
that it will result in additional loss of the quality.

So I have two questions

1) Is it possible to perform those changes 'in place' - without
decoding and reencoding? From my naive point of view it seems
that those changes should not require reencoding but heavy
googling did not help to find any suggestion how to do this.

2) Is re-encoding to be worried about? In other words: if
    B.ogg = ogg-encode( ogg-decode( A.ogg) )
is the quality of B.ogg worse than the quality of A.ogg?

PS I am on Linux.

PS2 As it is my first email to the vorbis mailing list, I would
like to make thanks to all the people involved in creation of
this excellent piece of software.