[Vorbis] Sample rates higher than 48k? 24-bit depth?

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 11:44:00 PST 2005

Robert Woodcock wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:18:32AM -0800, Paul Ellis wrote:
>
>>I don't check three times myself, but seriously you can't tell if your
>>speakers are out of phase?
>

> Yes, seriously. Am I in the minority?

Possibly.  Interference between out-of-phase speakers leads to
a dead zone midway between them (the recomended position for
stereo listening) for low frequency sound.  Unless you're playing
a pure tone through the speakers, high frequency interference is
less noticeable; I'd guess due to the shorter coherence length of
the wave.  Speakers in phase will interfere too, but there is
no dead zone at the midway point, and for all other points sound
from the two speakers will likely be incoherent.

This is also why I'm eagerly awaiting an explanation of the
importance of phase in high (audio) frequency spatial perception:
a naive approach would lead you to believe that for frequencies
where the distance between the ears is more than a few cycles
phase couldn't play a role, due to incoherence.
<http://www.faqs.org/docs/sp/sp-181.html>

--
imalone