[Vorbis] Re: bitrate limits don't work with -q settings?

Nic Watson nic at ghs.com
Mon Jan 10 09:07:10 PST 2005

I'm glad I'm not the only one running into this problem.  I'm pretty
sure the -m setting is ignored when the -q option is used.  I just tried it:

oggenc -q 3 -m 96000 sinewave.flac -> Average bitrate: 69.1 kb/s

Empirically, I've noticed that the iRiver player will not play a song
(it says OGG FORMAT NOT SUPPORTED or somesuch) if its abr < 96kbps.  It
will also pop or end the song abruptly if the song at any time goes
below 96kbps.

Nic