[Vorbis] Sample rates higher than 48k? 24-bit depth?

Stefan Weilhartner whylee at whylee.at
Mon Jan 10 11:14:22 PST 2005

> Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> It automatically will throw away frequencies higher than 20khz?  The  reason I'd like to try
> using Vorbis with a high sample rate is because  the files would be smaller obviously.  Not for
> archiving of perfect  quality versions though.  24-bit 96kHz wave files take up a lot of
> space, about 16MB per channel per minute.  Although I'm more interested  in having 24-bit bit
> depth than the higher sampling frequencies.  I  think the higher headroom is more noticeable
> than the higher sampling,  although that may just be because my speakers probably don't go much
>  past 20kHz.

Well nearly everyone thinks that the shannon theorem is perfectly adequate for using with audio
signals.So they think that 44,1kHz Sampling frequency is enough for everything.
But i think it is not cause we have a stereo signal here and stereo means that the timing
(diffenence between left and right signal) is very important.Our brain calculates 3D-Room-information out of the difference between the two signals.
I'll explain that more detailed and scientific later that day, so everyone can understand this.

Greeting from a High-End-Audio-Geek,
  WhyLee.