[Vorbis] Changing the bitrate (down) of an ogg file

Daniel Schregenberger npfdd at gmx.net
Sat Jan 8 04:02:00 PST 2005

On Sam, 2005-01-08 at 08:14 +0100, madsdyd at challenge.dk wrote:
[...]
> So my question is, if there is a tool to change the bitrate down to e.g.
> 220 kbps. I know I can do this with sox, or by decoding to wav, then
> recoding, but I was looking for a tool that "knew" ogg, and perhaps could
> change the bitrate in an "optimal" way, that is, throwing away the least
> significant components of the encoded file, or whatever.

You are searching for a peeler. That is theoretical possible with Ogg
(unlike mp3 and other formats) but I think still none exists.
Unfortunately.

There was an effort of getting money to build one some time ago. What
has happened there? I somehow lost track of it.

-- Daniel

--
Homepage: http://www.npfdd.ch/