[Vorbis] Re: MARC relators added to Dublin Core

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 11 13:54:08 PST 2005

Ian Malone wrote:
> Just noticed this, <http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/relators/>.
> MARC (Library of Congress) relators are now part of Dublin Core,
> this allows refinements to meta-data like actor, composer,
> instrumentalist (of interest to kitchen sink metadata in Ogg/Vorbis).
>
> It still falls short of the more qualified relationships that might
> be available with Musicbrainz advanced relationships (eg guitarist
> etc), but I feel the Musicbrainz guidelines are still not perfectly
> documented.

Hmm, I take it back, documentation is now pretty good.  Now if I can
just track down the RDF schema I think we have something useful.
It even looks like there might be some movement on performance roles:
<http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/PerformanceRestructuringProposal>.

The funny thing about RDF is that it doesn't handle free-form data
well.  You can jam almost anything under one of the DC categories
for instance, but without a formal relation they often loose their
meaning: eg live performance date and broadcast date can go under
created and available, but that could equally be studio recording
time and album release (and a live performance album has a release
time too).  I'd just like to be able to add a note to that
relationship.  It makes no difference to cataloguing, but it may be
of interest to a listener/viewer.

--
imalone