[Vorbis] segfault on oggenc

fs admin at www0.org
Fri Apr 22 07:42:47 PDT 2005

Hello, I'm not a programmer or know well how to operate gdb. However
I've made an attempt to backtrace the problem with 'make debug' and gdb.
Please help if you can. I'd appreciate it, I have this problem for a
couple of months now.

The problem basically is that on debian unstable official packages for the
past couple of months(even after debian updates) I get segfaults when I
simply try to encode a test.wav with "oggenc test.wav", in that case
it segfaults at once. But, when I try to do "oggenc -b 64 test.wav" for
example, it segfaults again but after it has encoded the file, BUT, up to
a large percentage of it, not all, (say, up to 95-97% of the file). I've
tried feeding a raw wav through mpg123 or mpg321 in a pipe, but there are
still segfaults.

I use an athlon xp on linux 2.6.11 (happened as well on 2.6.10), on an
asus nvidia chipset m/b.

Here is my attempt to debug it with gdb by downloading vorbid-tools
alone (the rest dependencies are the official debian packages), in
case it rings any bells..

(gdb) s
oe_encode (opt=0xbffff870) at encode.c:201
201         vorbis_encode_setup_init(&vi);
(gdb) s
208             vorbis_analysis_init(&vd,&vi);
(gdb) s

0xb7da0bd6 in mallopt () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7da0bd6 in mallopt () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0xb7da0394 in calloc () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#2  0xb7ee73a1 in _book_unquantize () from /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0
#3  0xb7ee7846 in vorbis_book_init_encode () from
/usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0
#4  0xb7ed97fb in vorbis_window () from /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0
#5  0xb7ed7db5 in vorbis_analysis_init () from /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0
#6  0x0804ed9e in oe_encode (opt=0xbffff870) at encode.c:208
#7  0x0804b1ec in main (argc=2, argv=0xbffffa34) at oggenc.c:347

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.