[Vorbis] Re: very low bandwidth encoding

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Thu Sep 23 01:38:21 PDT 2004

On 22-Sep-2004 Andy Baxter wrote:

> is giving fairly decent sound at 12 kbps mono if I play it through ogg123,
> but sounds tinny and strange if I play through alsaplayer. xmms has the
> same problem. zinf plays these files OK - same as ogg123.

ALSA uses a rough and fast "pick the nearest sample" resampling
algorithm, which gives very bad results. Alsaplayer uses a fixed
sample rate (you can change it via command line). Xmms tries to
match the file's sample rate but, if the card can't do it, ALSA
does the resampling. IIRC alsa-1.0.7 will use linear interpolation.

--
Giuliano.