[Vorbis] newlines in vorbis comments

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 18:54:15 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 19:50, Monty wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 03:53:54PM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> > Is there any way to put a newline character in comments for ogg
> > vorbis files in Linux?  I can't see any way of doing it with
> > vorbiscomment.  Easytag would work, but has other problems
> > (like concatenating comment fields with the same tag name).
>
> Comments are eight-bit-clean.  You can put any ACSII/UTF-8 charachter
> in.  However ´newline´ isn´t quite what you think it is (it is a
> different charachter on different platforms.  A Mac newline in an Ogg
> comment won´t work on a PC, etc....).  Newline isn´t a language
> charachter, it´s a platform-specific control-code.

I know, I'm not expecting to have some odd multi-line artist field
that displays as expected on an iRiver.  This is really more about
putting reference information in a tag.  If a program can handle
UTF8, it can usually do something appropriate with the LF character.

<snip>

> I curious; why do you need newlines?

It seems a more natural way of putting location information into
tags than comma separation in some (admittedly rare) situations
with three parts to an address, and I like to keep my tagging
consistent.  Multiple ADDRESS flags wouldn't really reflect the
hierarchical nature of such things.  ADDRESSn tags might be an
alternative I suppose.  Mainly I'm just curious about ways of
doing it.  As you say; tags hold any UTF-8 character, the difficulty
in entering it is due to the way vorbiscomment's -l/-c options
work.

Hauke Hachmann mentioned COMMENT tags.  I have to own up to making
(multline, extended) use of them if I'm using Winamp to edit tags.
Being honest I've never put anything in a comment tag that didn't
belong under another name. That doesn't exclude other people having
a use for such things though.

Transcriptions of spoken material (I've got a few language tapes
here) are another possibility but, as mentioned in the ogg
comments specification, this really belongs in a proper stream.

--
imalone