[Vorbis] Embedded JPEG

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Oct 27 18:14:59 PDT 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 10:04, Joe Folkens wrote:
> Can and/or will the Ogg Vorbis specification define facilities to embed
> an image(s) within an ogg file, e.g. embedded JPEG in MP3/WMA?

There is no such specification at the moment.

I think the general intent is to define this sort of thing outside the Vorbis
specification, probably in an ogg metadata stream. This hasn't yet been

The vorbis comment headers, whilst defined at UTF-8 encoded text, are actually
8-bit clean data vectors, so it'd be easy to use those for embedded a JPEG if
you wanted to. It'd be somewhat outside the specification though.