[Vorbis] Q: merging ogg files

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Oct 17 18:38:08 PDT 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 03:30, Guentcho Skordev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have read that one can merge OGG Vorbis files by simple concatenation. I
> have tried this with two files produced by "rec". However, the resuting
> file confuses xmms when I scroll and plays sometimes the first and
> sometimes the second part (xmms also shows the wrong file length, 14:29,
> the same length as the second file; first was 4:33).

For this to work, the files must have different serial numbers. Whatever
you're encoding the files with is probably giving them identical serial
numbers (which is poor application behaviour).

Having multiple logical streams in a single physical stream (file) with the
same serial number is never allowed.

Mike