[Vorbis] Question on Quality factor, Bitrate and decode table

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 15 03:08:15 PDT 2004

Monty wrote:

>>  1. What is the relation ship between Quality factor and Bitrates?
>>

>The Vorbis specification does not have any concept of bitrate. The
>decoder does not know and does not care what the actual bitrate f an
>incoming stream is.

I have a question about this one: players like the iRiver iFP800 claim
Ogg/Vorbis
support for (eg) 44.1KHz, 96Kbps~225Kbps.  Is this simply due to
hardware speed?

Most of my .ogg files lie in this window, but does anyone have any
experience of what happens when the 'instantaneous' bit-rate
wanders outside it?

--
imalone